Saturday, January 9, 2010

First draft of artist statement in Nov '09 for group show, Inward

In my work, I am interested in creating a non-verbal (or verbal, if necessary) dialogue between the artwork and the audience.  I am interested in work which changes with its viewer and its environment. While I am often present in my works, the artwork becomes me, and me the artwork.  Yet, I use myself as a part of this larger piece in dialogue with an audience to further explore ideas of personal versus collective experience.  Fascinated by people as complicated and beautiful and bizarre and horrifying beings, I strive to create work which taps into the human experience.  Furthermore, I am interested in creating work which is interactive, which by looking at or interacting with it it, creates a new active experience instead of a passive one.

 

In this series of red string portraits, I was inspired by this feeling of being pulled in multiple directions; of being limited and stuck by wanting so many things.  As I began to play with this material, I really fell in love with it.  The elasticity of the string, which allows for it to be pulled tight(which reminds us of lasers or man made materials) or it loose (which reminds us of a playful cat); the domesticity of textile materials; the red color which reminds us of bodily things; the idea of a string of yarn being part of a whole(sweater, or blanket); the fact that yarn loses its utility when strung and left loose instead of being knitted or crocheted:  all of these properties of the material lent themselves to me in this exploration.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment